City of East Dubuque City Council met July 23
City of East Dubuque City Council met July 23.
Here is the minutes as provided by the council:
1. 18-0720 Call to Order – Mayor
Alderman Arling, Alderman Degenhardt, Alderman Digman, Alderman Robey, Alderman Shireman, Alderman Vanostrand.
2. 18-0721 Speakers from the Floor
• Delbert Belkin-400 Apple St. Has known Geoff since he was mayor and before. Has never seen a City Manager that is more dedicated than any before. Would be saddened to not see him retained.
• Katie Bailey-Riverview Center in Galena. Her work provides sexual assault victims support, is a prevention educator and comes to East Dubuque schools. Thinks Community leaders need to be held accountable and respect the values of local citizens. Feels this is sending a message that this is ok and where are there safe spaces? Hopes that misconduct prevention can be prevented through awareness.
• Karen Adam 2470 Wintergreen Asbury IA-Statement by Tracy Harry. Appreciate the councils decision to be here. East Dubuque is at crossroads. The decision made tonight will impact the ED community for years to come. The facts are simple, no criminal charges were made. Your vote will send a message. Please make a statement that you expect better, please vote to rescind the City Manager’s contract.
3. 18-0722 Discussion and Possible Action to Review Employee Contract/Renewal, Mayor Welp, Civil Service Committee
• Alderman Shireman-Would like to enter into executive session for deliberation before a decision is made.
4. 18-0723 Executive Session: Personnel Section 2(c) (1), ROLL CALL
• Motion to enter into executive session made by Alderman Digman, seconded by Alderman Degenhardt; six ayes, motion carried. Roll Call: Alderman Arling, Alderman Degenhardt, Alderman Digman, Alderman Robey, Alderman Shireman, Alderman Vanostrand.
5. 18-0724 Any Action to be Taken from Discussion in Executive Session
• Motion made by Alderman Arling to not renew the City Manager Geoff Barklow’s contract and to terminate effective immediately, seconded by Alderman Shireman, six ayes, motion carried.
6. 18-0725 Adjourn
• Motion to Adjourn made by Alderman Robey, seconded by Alderman Degenhardt; six ayes, motion carried. Adjourned at 6:54pm.