City of Morrison City Council met Aug. 26.
Here is the minutes provided by the council:
The Morrison City Council met in Regular Session on August 26, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. in the Whiteside County Board Room, 400 North Cherry Street, Morrison, IL. Mayor Everett Pannier called the meeting to order. City Clerk Melanie Schroeder recorded the minutes.
Aldermen present on roll call were: Harvey Zuidema, Mick Welding, Josh West, Vern Tervelt, Kevin Bruckner, Jr., Arlyn Deets, Dale Eizenga and Ken Mahaffey.
Other City officials present was Chief of Police Brian Melton, City Administrator Barry Dykhuizen and Public Services Director Lori Matlack.
The public commented on being a candidate for the 71st Representative District.
Chief Melton stated his monthly report and enforcement activity reports have been emailed.
CA Dykhuizen presented the following report:
1) Sealcoating on Sunset, Sycamore, Hilltop and Terrace will begin this week.
2) The city has hired a contractor to assist with the water leak near the Shell gas station on West Lincolnway.
3) Options for street lighting on Main Street will be provided and a decision will need to be made soon. Also, downtown property owners will need to be deciding if they want ifiber lines to their businesses.
4) Flag football and soccer programs will begin this week.
Alderman Deets moved to approve the Consent Agenda consisting of the following: August 12, 2019 Regular Session Minutes; August 19, 2019 Special Session Minutes; Bills Payable; Request for Street Closure – 1st Gateway Credit Union (Business After Hours Event); Request for Street Closures and Parade Permits – Morrison Chamber of Commerce (Halloween parade and Christmas Walk); and Resolution #19-11 – Maintenance Under the Illinois Highway Code (Seal Coating – MFT), seconded by Alderman Eizenga. On a roll call vote of 8 ayes (Bruckner, Deets, Eizenga, Mahaffey, Zuidema, Welding, West, Tervelt) and 0 nays, the motion carried.
Items for Consideration & Possible Action:
1) Alderman Zuidema moved to approve the installation of LED lighting in the interior of City Hall, seconded by Alderman Welding. On a roll call vote of 8 ayes (Mahaffey, Zuidema, Welding, West, Tervelt, Bruckner, Deets, Eizenga) and 0 nays, the motion carried.
2) Chief Melton presented a proposal regarding no parking/drop-off/pick-up zones at Northside Elementary. Following discussion, Alderman Tervelt moved to restrict the area on the west side of the 600 block of North Cherry Street to pick-up/drop-off only from Monday through Friday between the hours of 7am to 9am and 2pm to 4pm, seconded by Alderman Bruckner. On a roll call vote of 6 ayes (Tervelt, Bruckner, Deets, Eizenga, Zuidema, Welding) and 2 nays (West, Mahaffey), the motion carried.
3) Alderman Mahaffey moved to amend the IEPA Project Plan to include a city-wide radio meter reading system, seconded by Alderman West. On a roll call vote of 6 ayes (Eizenga, Mahaffey, Welding, West, Bruckner, Deets) and 2 nays, (Zuidema, Tervelt), the motion carried.
4) Alderman Eizenga moved to approve Ordinance #19-11 – Restriction on Use of Parts of Jackson Street and Wall Street by Commercial and Combination Vehicles, seconded by Alderman West. On a roll call vote of 8a yes (Tervelt, Bruckner, Deets, Eizenga, Mahaffey, Zuidema, Welding, West) and 0 nays, the motion carried.
Other Items for Consideration, Discussion & Information:
1) The consensus of the Council was to set a date/time for a goal setting session.
2) The water run-off at the property located at the corner of Winfield and Cherry Streets has been remedied.
3) CA Dykhuizen stated parking at 303 West Lincolnway has improved. He has informed the owner of the property of their requirement to construct a fence between 301 and 303 West Lincolnway. Complaints about parking on the sidewalks will be investigated.
Being no further business, Alderman Tervelt moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Alderman Deets. On a voice vote, the motion carried.
Meeting adjourned at 7:52 p.m.