Byron Public Library District Board of Trustees met Nov. 13.
Here is the minutes provided by the board:
The meeting was called to order at 4:04 p.m. by Jill Grennan. Elaine Breck arrived at 4:07 and presided over the rest of the meeting. Board members present were, Lavonne Berkeley, Elaine Breck, David Conley, Jill Grennan, and Rich Pleniewicz. Also attending were Emily Porter, Director and Recording Secretary, Heather Towle.
Absent Members: Barbara Clubb and Susan O’Neil
Minutes: Mr. Pleniewicz made a motion to approve the Minutes of the Regular Meeting of October 09, 2019. The motion was seconded and approved 5-0. A motion to approve the Finance Committee meeting of November 5, 2019 was made by Mrs. Berkeley. The motion was seconded and approved 5-0.
Treasurer’s Report and Monthly Bills: Mrs. Porter distributed written reports.
Bills: Mrs. Porter distributed written reports.
Mrs. Grennan asked about the Insurance expenses. Mrs. Porter clarified that liability insurance is paid annually. The Byron Fire Protection District expense covered CPR training for all staff. The concrete bill was paid to RG Concrete who will be back next summer to re-stripe the parking lot.
A motion to ratify the bills was made by Mr. Pleniewicz and seconded by Mrs. Grennan. The motion was approved in a roll call vote 5-0: Mrs. Berkeley, yes; Mrs. Breck, yes; Mr. Conley, yes; Mrs. Grennan, yes; and Mr. Pleniewicz, yes.
Librarian Report: Mrs. Porter distributed written reports.
The Library has new pet hermit crabs. Kids get to spray the tank with water. We are in the process of taking suggestions for names and will do a public vote. Mrs. Porter just hired Beth Murbach to work the front desk and to sub. Heather will step in to help in the teen area. Mrs. Breck asked about the strategic planning meeting conducted by Buster Barton for the school district. Mrs. Porter attended and gave an overview of that meeting. Mrs. Breck noted the exceptional attendance for programs excepting Uptown Book Club. Uptown book club has been cancelled.
Trustee Reports: None
• Finance: Mrs. Grennan: Steve Schull from Byron Bank discussed investment options. He recommended a CD that would yield more than the current public funds money market account. The committee also reviewed the YTD budget and proposed levy.
• Operations Committee: None
• Executive Committee: None
• Facilities Management: None
• Mrs. Porter discussed the meeting room policy and after-hours use. Mrs. Breck suggested postponing discussion on this topic until the current strategic plan expires and a new plan is developed. This will allow an opportunity for the community to give opinions and suggestions if after-hours meeting room use is a community interest/need.
• Mrs. Breck made a motion to approve the Alcohol Policy and it was seconded. Mr. Conley asked when the library would be ready to have a program with alcohol. Mrs. Porter said that Eckburg Insurance is ready to send the paperwork. Staff will have to take a 2 hour training as well. We don’t have to acquire liquor licenses from the City unless we sell alcohol. Alcohol will only be allowed at approved library programs and not for private parties. The motion passed 5-0.
• Mrs. Porter held a discussion explaining the ordinance and requirements of Levy Ordinance 2019-5. Mrs. Berkeley made a motion to approve the Levy Ordinance 2019-5. The motion was seconded. The motion was approved in a roll call vote 5-0: Mrs. Berkeley, yes; Mrs. Breck, yes; Mr. Conley, yes; Mrs. Grennan, yes; and Mr. Pleniewicz, yes.
Approved December 11, 2019
• The Finance Committee made a recommendation to move $150,000 from the Capital Reserves fund into a 15 month CD at 2%. The recommendation was approved by roll call vote 5-0: Mrs. Berkeley, yes; Mrs. Breck, yes; Mr. Conley, yes; Mrs. Grennan, yes; and Mr. Pleniewicz, yes.
Mrs. Breck adjourned the meeting at 5:00 p.m.