City of Morrison City Council met Nov. 25.
Here is the minutes provided by the council:
The Morrison City Council met in Regular Session on November 25, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. in the Whiteside County Board Room, 400 N. Cherry St., Morrison, IL. Mayor Everett Pannier called the meeting to order. City Clerk Melanie Schroeder recorded the minutes.
Aldermen present on roll call were: Ken Mahaffey, Harvey Zuidema, Mick Welding, Vern Tervelt, Kevin Bruckner, Jr., Arlyn Deets, and Dale Eizenga. Alderman Josh West was not present.
Other City officials present were City Administrator Barry Dykhuizen, Sergeant Kevin Soenksen, Public Services Director Lori Matlack, City Treasurer John Prange, and Brian Frickenstein from Willett, Hofmann & Associates.
The public commented on private tree contractors, who are not contracted by the city, who are removing parkway (city-owned) trees.
Administrator Dykhuizen recently took a tour of the new USDA office on Wilkens Drive.
Director Matlack stated the following:
1) Tree removal/trimming is in progress; both by the City’s contractor and Com Ed.
2) Energy conservation steps are being taken at the GE building to save on heating costs.
3) A more formal public works report will be available at the next council meeting.
Alderman Deets moved to approve the Consent Agenda consisting of the following: November 12, 2019 Regular Session Minutes; Bills Payable; Pay Request #2 and Final – Insituform; Resolution #19-12 – Dyke Tax Abatement; and Resolution #19-13 – Bergs/Woods Tax Abatement, seconded by Alderman Eizenga. On a roll call vote of 7 ayes (Deets, Eizenga, Mahaffey, Zuidema, Welding, West, Tervelt, Bruckner) and 0 nays, the motion carried.
Items for Consideration & Possible Action:
1) Emmanuel Reformed Church submitted two location options for street closures for their annual car show in August 2020. Two options were requested due to the possible construction on Main Street, but the church will only close one of the requested areas, depending on the construction. Alderman Tervelt moved to approve the street closure requests from Emmanuel Reformed Church for August 29, 2020, seconded by Alderman Zuidema. On a roll call vote of 7 ayes (Zuidema, Welding, Tervelt, Bruckner, Deets, Eizenga, Mahaffey) and 0 nays, the motion carried.
Other Items for Consideration, Discussion & Information:
1) Engineer Frickenstein and council discussed the costs for the Main Street drainage and street lighting. The drainage option and street lighting decisions will be on the December 9, 2019 council agenda for action. There will be a public meeting on December 16th for community input.
2) The consensus of the Council was to allow community groups to proceed with more detailed plans for placing a dog park at the former Legion Field and Kiwanis Park.
3) Council discussed what to do with excessive water leaks.
With no additional business to discuss, Alderman Mahaffey moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Alderman Zuidema. Meeting adjourned at 8:37 p.m.